Commencing in February 2010 and continuing through November, 2010, artist and painting workshop instructor, Chris Groves, will be presenting monthly painting demonstrations at Horton Hayes Fine Art. There will be no charge to attend, but space is limited to ten people per session. Each demonstration session will be held on the second Saturday of each month from 10am to 12pm, unless otherwise noted.
In November, after the last session, a drawing will be held to give away the field study used as reference during the demonstrations. Each attendee may enter the drawing.
Topics for each session are as follows:
• February 13th: Preparing your field study and canvas. Composition and concept.
• March 13th: Drawing and initial wash in.
• April 10th: Values, shapes, and their relationships (monochromatic).
• May 8th: Finishing the underpainting. Limited palette. Light and its place
• June 12th: Color and its application (first layer). Discussion of Palette.
• July 10th: Brush strokes, palette knife, and creating texture (additional layers).
• August 14th: Working the painting as a whole. Relationships within the painting.
• September 11th: Finishing the painting. Detail, highlights and accents.
• October 9th: Glazing – “Pushing” the painting toward completion.
• November 13th: Completing the painting. Signature, photographing, framing, pricing and hanging.
Seating must be reserved and is on first come first served basis. Reservations can be made in advance and reservations of each session must be made after the 15th day of the month prior to each demonstration. (For example, March’s demonstration can be reserved after February 15th.) The Gallery will maintain a waiting list for interested people who are not among the first 10 to sign up.
Please call Horton Hayes Fine Art at (843) 958-0014 to sign up. The gallery is located at 30 State St. Charleston SC 29401.